Most of us have dreamt about living in a fairytale home at some point in our lives. Most people usually outgrow this by the time they’re teenagers and realize that “society” is a cookie cutter mold. Unfortunately, there’s no fairy godmother to sprinkle fairy dust and wish things into existence for us.
However, some people never gave up looking for the magic. Instead, they bought or fashioned homes to help them preserve that childhood sense of wonder. These houses are amazing in that way.
1. This is a home build for the Moominvalley Akebono Kodomo park in Japan. This place has solar panels, grass roof tops, and three stories of living space.
It is decked out in all necessary furniture, and play areas for children. While it may not be currently inhabited, I’m sure many families enjoy visiting and imagining what it would be like to live there.
2. Simon Dale, of Whales, and his family built a real life hobbit home, like out of the “Lord of the Rings” series. You can learn more about this here.
3. This “Nautilus House” is designed to be a psychedelic, sea faring wonderland. You can dive further into this home here.
4. The Stone House in Portugal. Now that’s a foundation built on solid rock!
5. Here is a random cottage in Canada. Nothing says “at one with nature” like a roof layer of vines.
— Sam Tander (@Braveheartlike) February 28, 2016
6. Apparently, the elves from Tolkien’s Middle Earth vacated to British Columbia.
7. Here’s a seashell house that brings the Little Mermaid to Mexico.
8. This is the Maison de Sorcière Avec Ciel d’orage in France.
Seriously. With a name like that, what else do you expect than something looking like a wizards tower?
9. This Abandoned Wooden House in Russia is a marvel of carpentry.
10. Our very own Minnesota has a home called the “Rustic Way Whimsical House.” It’s easy to see why the name fits.
11. Here’s a forest house in the Netherlands that might as well be straight out of a Disney movie.
12. Those Icelanders know how to insulate for the winter!
13. The Tetsu Teahouse, in Yamanashi, Japan is an elevated, cherry blossom paradise.
14. The Catskills, New York has a tiny victorian cottage that is cozy as well as magical.
15. Chillin in Thailand with a Dome Home.
16. The actual “Hobbit House” from the Lord of the Rings movies, in New Zealand.
17. The Crazy House in Vietnam is more of an amusement park, but still an amazing place to check out.