Inner Circle members: Share a personalized version of this article from the members area.
One thing every modern home needs is vents. Be it air conditioning vents, heating vents, or bathroom vents, they are all necessary to keeping the air in our houses fresh all year long.
Unfortunately, some of the most common eyesores in homes are also… well, vents! They are mostly metal grates, mostly drab looking, or just plain nasty after years of dusty buildup. Perhaps your floor vents have warped, sharp edges sticking up from the floor. Whatever the case may be, if you want your home to have that extra touch of style, vent decor works surprisingly well.
We’ve compiled a gallery of styles and DIY guides for all manner of vent covers. Whether you fancy metal, wood, or even easy-to-make cardboard art covers, we have something for you!
1. Here’s a DIY guide for a stylish vent cover. Turn that welcome mat into something that welcomes more frequently.
Or with a little extra effort, you can paint the floor mat to match your wall color, and perhaps sand the surface to ‘post-pins”get a rustic look.
Speaking of floor mats, most style websites show this next image and imply it’s a rubber door mat. It’s not. It’s a hinged door frame with a dark screen to obscure the air filter behind it. What a great look!
2. Covering vents can involve even craftier ideas that make more use of the space. For instance, this DIY guide shows a fantastic way for covering a vent using an aesthetic cabinet.
Have to say, that’s pretty sauve.
3. You can also use sheet metal with attractive patterning. This DIY guide from The Friendly Home will show you how.
4. This DIY guide shows how to make a gorgeous vent cover for 1/10th the cost of a pre made, custom cover.
5. This woman made a rubber door mat look like an expensive brass cover for her vent.
6. Have a wee one starting to crawl around? This DIY guide will show you how to baby-proof those floor vents.